Dealing with any pest in your Hot Springs, Arkansas home or business can be difficult and frustrating. However, there are some pests that people are more familiar with than others. For example, most people fear finding spiders around or coming across a stinging bee. But, there are other pests that invade area buildings that can cause problems besides the most recognizable.
One of these species is the strange-looking silverfish. Their name gives a good description of what they look like as they are usually a silver-grey color, although some can be brown. They have long, thin, teardrop-shaped bodies, but they don’t exactly look like fish. They look more like prehistoric fossils with their long antennae and long feelers.
Silverfish mainly thrive in dark, damp areas as they need moisture-rich environments. They often invade basements, kitchens, and bathrooms when indoors, but they also get into garages and sheds. Silverfish are attracted to paper and damp fabric such as clothing.
What Problems Do Silverfish Cause?
Silverfish look rather odd and even scary. They are a pest that looks as if it could bite or sting, but this actually isn’t something you need to worry about. Silverfish don’t pose any health threats to people or pets as they won’t bite or sting. Also, they aren’t known to spread any diseases.
The biggest issue, therefore, with silverfish is that they can damage belongings. They will chew on books, wallpaper, cereals, and basically anything that contains carbohydrates or sugars.
While the damage isn’t a lot at first, silverfish can still destroy many valuables over time. The food they get into will need to be thrown away because it still isn’t sanitary to eat even though silverfish don’t spread known pathogens.
How To Keep Silverfish Away From Your Property
While silverfish aren’t dangerous and aren’t as destructive as some other pests, they can still be annoying to deal with and difficult to remove. Overall, the easiest way to handle them is to try and prevent them in the first place.
You can deter silverfish from coming around your property by following these five steps:
- Get rid of excess moisture by using dehumidifiers in humid rooms and fixing leaky plumbing. Also, check that there is good ventilation in attics, crawl spaces, and basements.
- Regularly clean out cabinets, cupboards, panties, and appliances around your kitchen.
- Store cereals, grains, and other similar food items in sealed containers. Keep pet food stored inside, too.
- Make it more difficult for silverfish to find their way inside by sealing up holes in the walls and foundation, fixing broken screens, and installing door sweeps and weather stripping.
- Clean up excess clutter inside the building and around your lawn as silverfish prefer to have many places to hide. Make sure to focus on garages, closets, and storage rooms.
These steps can help minimize your risk of silverfish moving in, but they may not be enough to eliminate existing populations.
Removing Silverfish Infestations
If you’ve seen silverfish around your property, there is a straightforward way to get rid of them. All you have to do is contact the trained professionals at Advanced Pest Control.
We have over 15 years of experience, and our pest control plans will eradicate silverfish, and other pest problems, and keep them from returning in the future. We also make it easy to begin by offering free quotes. Contact us today to get started.
Request Your Free Estimate
Complete the form below to request your no obligation estimate.