What Do Fire Ants Look Like?
Fire ant treatment in Hot Springs starts with identification. Like other insects, fire ants have six legs and hard exoskeletons. They resemble other ant species from afar, but display unique characteristics, such as their black and red coloring.
Workers stand out with their armored midsections, round heads that are usually brown, and abdominal stingers that transfer alkaloid venom to victims. When a fire ant bites, it immediately follows it with a sting, leaving a burning sensation and red welt. Ordinarily, rising fire ant populations push winged ants out of their mounds for reproduction; afterward, males die while females lose their wings.
Fire ants fall under two categories:
- Workers have uniform sizes
- Red to black bodies
- Mounds approximately two feet high
Imported Fire Ants
- Brown to black bodies
- Workers come in different sizes
- Black and red compound eyes
- Higher mounds, approximately three feet tall
- Large colonies ranging between 100,000 and 300,000 members
If you suspect that your property has fire ants, contact a local pest control company for effective ant control solutions.
How To Kill Fire Ants Inside
You don’t want fire ants in your space for several reasons. For starters, multiple ants can sting you at once, causing severe reactions even if your immunity is strong. They also invade electrical equipment such as switch boxes, phone wires, circuit breakers, and air conditioners, resulting in malfunctions and electrocution.
You can prevent an ant infestation by:
- Upholding cleanliness: Washing your surfaces and garbage cans prevents ants from entering your home looking for leftovers.
- Proper food storage: Seal animal and human food containers and wash dirty dishes after use, because fire ants are always looking for food for their colony.
- Sealing holes: Watch out for any broken siding, foundational cracks, and utility spaces that can welcome the pests into your home. Door sweeps also come in handy to keep pests at bay.
You should also hire an exterminator if ants have already invaded your home. Thanks to their wealth of experience, Hot Springs pest control services can flush the pests out of any corner and eject them for good. Furthermore, professional extermination methods don’t endanger household members or the environment. Professionals also find other pests you hadn’t previously identified and prevent a possible infestation.
How To Kill Fire Ants Outside Your Home
Fire ants attack your vegetable gardens and flower beds searching for food, water, and warmth. Here’s how to keep them out of your yard:
- Clear dead branches and leaves from your lawn.
- Don’t overwater the yard or use too much fertilizer
- Cover garbage containers and compost bins, and relocate them from the lawn.
- Store woodpiles away from your house.
- Trim shrubs that touch your home to reduce ant access.
These simple prevention measures can help protect your property from fire ants. If an infestation occurs, be sure to seek professional assistance.
Sustainable Fire Ant Control For Hot Springs Residents
Effective fire ant control for your Hot Springs home starts with hiring a professional. Get in touch with Advanced Pest Control today for quality fire ant treatment in Hot Springs. We can safely and effectively eliminate the fire ants on your property – contact us today for your free estimate.